Friday, September 7, 2012

How to Make Tomato Sauce





This is one of those basic dishes that I have been making all of my adult life with few or no changes. When I was younger I didn’t use wine in the recipe because that meant I had to drink less wine—that wasn’t ever going to happen. I think I found the recipe in Waverly Root’s classic The Cooking of Italy. Tomato sauce is the foundation of so much of what I cook that I couldn’t imagine not having plenty of my home-made version around. I make huge batches and freeze it in containers small enough for a small recipe. If you are lucky you receive a container of this great sauce from time to time as a gift.

Ingredients

Can of tomato pure
Can of whole tomatoes (I mush them with my hands)
Can of tomato concentrate
2 onions (diced)
3 ripe tomatoes (diced)
2 cloves of garlic (diced)
1 cup red wine
Bay leaves
Salt
Red pepper flakes
Olive oil

Sauté the onions until they are sweating, add the garlic. Cook this a few minutes and add the fresh, diced tomato. Cook this a bit and then add the red wine (make sure the pot is really hot at this point to burn off the alcohol in the wine). Then add the canned stuff and the seasoning.  This needs to cook for maybe an hour.  When it is finished cooking I add about a ¼ cup of good olive oil.

In my humble opinion it’s truly an un-improvable recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

VIDEO: how does Globexs work?